Sunday, September 16, 2007

Stoplights.


I drive at a lot of "weird" times... and by that i mean really early in the morning. Anywhere between midnight and 6am. At these times, there are little to no cars on the road... especially closer to 2-3am.

I have noticed that even though i'm basically the only car on the road... i still have to wait for some stoplights because they have a timer once the trigger is tripped. The programming for these lights just baffles me. It makes no sense to me to keep a timer past midnight... at the latest.

I've also noticed that once i'm on a normally busy road, and i'm still the only person on the road, that some lights still change no matter if there's someone waiting or not. It's like the box that controls the lights has to cycle through each position just so that it doesn't bug out. If i'm on a 3 lane highway (aka 28) and there is no one waiting to make a left turn onto said road, then the light should always stay in the direction of the 3 lane highway. It is ridiculous for a light to HAVE to cycle through. I'm sure there's plenty of people who can program these boxes to help us few late late drivers.

Going along with the last paragraph... if i come up to 28 from a side road... and i'm turning right... i don't expect the light to turn for me. This is less efficient for the flow of traffic. But if i'm turning left, this light should start to change as soon as i hit the trigger. It makes it more of a first come, first serve basis... and at 2am... i'm pretty sure everyone that's out driving that's been stuck at a light with NO cars coming would agree with me.

5 comments:

Neva said...

I would have to agree with you 100%.

Anonymous said...

Let's just talk about the left hand turn off Progress St to Patrick Henry coming out of Terrace View. It is the longest light in the universe, and the only thing that ever sets it off is the bus. Ever. Ever.

Why install a sensor that needs a bus to set it off? I've sat at that light for 10-15 minutes waiting for it to change. I ended up changing lanes, and wouldn't you know that the bus came, set the wire off, and all was good?!

UUUUUGH.

Though... we do have that one four way intersection that used to have stop lights, and now it has reverted to stop signs. Too bad there aren't more of those...

Unknown said...

Just run the light. If there are no cars, then there are no cops. right?

MotherOf3Guys said...

I can't believe your brother would tell you to run a light!!??? What is he thinking? I know somebody who died like that....

Neva said...

Maybe I should clarify what I said.....I wouldn't want to be thought of as a generic blog answerer.....while I don't advocate breaking the law, in this case I would say..... look carefully both ways(under the guise of looking for the police) and then proceed cautiously through the light of question and then, if caught, pretend you were sure it was green and unless they have your A** on film...fight the ticket in court. And as far as your mom knowing someone who died that way....hopefully it won't be you!